The Fukunaga Scholarship Foundation's scholarships are awarded to encourage high school students in the State of Hawaii who intend to have a career in Business to pursue higher education at any accredited four-year college or university. College students meeting the requirements are also eligible to apply.
AMOUNT AND NUMBER OF SCHOLARSHIPS
Four-year scholarships are awarded to students just entering college in increments of $5,000 annually. Assuming that eligibility is maintained, a total of $20,000 will be awarded over four years. Students already enrolled in college will receive awards varying in amount and duration depending on individual circumstances. The awards will cover only the remainder of the student’s originally approved undergraduate program. Approximately 40 students will be attending various colleges and universities on scholarships annually. We anticipate awarding approximately ten (10) new scholarships for the 2024-2025 school year.
To maintain scholarship eligibility, the recipient must demonstrate academic progress towards his or her degree by successfully completing a full-time course load each year aid is received. The minimum grade point average (GPA) to qualify for continued aid is 3.0, except in special circumstances. Students must maintain an intent to have a career in Business and must submit an essay at the end of each school year for continuance of their award. The scholarship will be discontinued if less than a full-time course load is taken, if the student changes his or her goal of obtaining a career in Business, if the student no longer attends a qualifying four-year accredited college or university, if an acceptable GPA is not maintained, or if other requirements are not met.
QUALIFICATIONS AND BASIS OF SELECTION
In order to be eligible to apply for an award from the Fukunaga Scholarship Foundation, students must have graduated from a public or private school, charter high school, accredited online school, or be on track to graduate at the end of the current academic year. Homeschooled students are also eligible.
- The applicant must impress fellow students, members of the faculty and members of the community as an individual deserving of an opportunity to begin or continue higher education and must have demonstrated personal attributes and the scholastic aptitude needed to achieve educational goals.
- The applicant must be interested in pursuing a career in Business and have participated in school activities and community service which demonstrate leadership and responsibility.
- The applicant’s class standing will be considered. A cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0 in his or her high school (and college, if applicable) career is required.
- The applicant must show a desire and the ability to further his or her education as a means of attaining and sustaining a career in Business within the Pacific Islands region. U.S. citizenship is required. Evidence of citizenship may be requested. Permanent resident (green card) holders do not qualify.
- The applicant must be a resident of the State of Hawaii and plan to eventually return to Hawaii or the Pacific Islands region and contribute to its growth and welfare.
- The applicant’s need for financial assistance will be considered based on financial resources available through financial aid and through his or her family’s assets and income. All applicants must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Student Aid Report to be considered for this award. Demonstrated financial need is not necessarily a requirement.
- Scholarships are awarded based on academic achievement, leadership qualities, a desire to attend college, special circumstances, financial need, and personal interviews.
- Scores allocated to each applicant will not be disclosed.
ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS MUST BE SUBMITTED IN ENGLISH. SUBMISSION IN ANY LANGUAGE OTHER THAN ENGLISH WILL RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION.